Bipolar Disorder is a type of mood disorder that contributes to huge shifts in behaviour, mood, and energy levels. Without any proper treatment, these shifts can even last for several months which can severely impact daily life activities making it difficult to have a stable work life, social life, and relationships.
Despite being a long-term mental condition, you can control the distressing symptoms of this disorder with effective bipolar mood disorder treatment. The doctor may recommend certain medications, lifestyle changes, and therapies after diagnosing the condition through a mental health evaluation and physical exam.
Given below is a brief overview of the common symptoms and probable causes of bipolar mood disorder.
Mania is the most severe episode in bipolar mood disorder which has the capacity of creating significant problems in relationships, social activities, school, and work. Some of the symptoms that one can showcase during a maniac episode are-
- Severe mood changes
- Excessive excitement and happiness
- Poor judgment and impulsivity
- Delusions and hallucinations
- Racing thoughts and high energy levels
2. Depressive Episodes
Bipolar mood disorder patients also often experience depressive episodes along with maniac episodes. The depressive episode symptoms that one can face are-
- Sudden weight loss
- Sleeping too much or insomnia
- Loss of interest in all the life activities
- Hopeless, sad, tearful mood most of the times
- Feeling of worthlessness
- Suicidal thoughts and attempts
- Lack of concentration
Hypomania episodes often include milder maniac symptoms. People suffering from hypomania episodes can often do well at work and social situations but suddenly you may not feel good. You can contact the best psychiatrist in Siliguri if you or your near ones face hypomania episodes frequently. Some of the common symptoms include-
- Changes in activity levels
- Mood swings
4. Mixed Episode
A patient with this disorder can also sometimes experience mixed episodes. These episodes may include the symptoms of depression as well as mania. Some of the symptoms one may face in a mixed episode are-
- High energy
- Negative feelings
- Feeling agitated
1. Brain Chemistry- The functional problems in the neurotransmitters of the brain can be a major cause of bipolar disorder. This is why doctors often recommend psychiatric medications that sustain the functions of the neurotransmitters.
2. Childhood Trauma- If a child has faced some sort of trauma then they can develop this disorder. Some of such events include sexual or emotional abuse, negligence, and losing someone near.
3. Family History- Family history and environment also play a significant role in developing bipolar mood disorder. A bipolar gene running through the family significantly increases the chances of the disorder.
4. Stressful Events- Stressful situations and experiences faced in your life can trigger a mood episode, which can become the main cause of developing bipolar mood disorder. Events that may include this criterion are losing someone close, financial problems, and loneliness.
You can avail of the best bipolar mood disorder treatment from a well-known hospital to control hypomania, maniac, and depressive episodes. You can also stay active, indulge in a healthy diet, communicate with people, and adhere to the treatment plan to get relief from the disorder.