Depression is a common mental illness that causes severe and persistent feelings of sadness and a lack of interest or pleasure in previously enjoyable activities. It is a serious illness affecting 5% of adults all over the world and about 4.5% out of 14% of Indians suffering from various mental health disorders.
Depression is a serious illness and if you're showing symptoms or are suffering from it then you need to visit a specialist who provides the best depression treatment in Siliguri. As when left untreated severe depression can cause massive negative effects on anyone's life making it tough to function normally from day to day.
Symptoms of depression can be hard to track as symptoms can differ depending on the type and the severity of the condition and symptoms can even change over time. Some of the common symptoms of depression can include:
- Feelings of sadness, emptiness, and hopelessness
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies
- Lack of energy, loss of energy, or tiredness all-day
- Anxiety or restlessness
- Physical problems like back pain or headaches with no explanation
- Disturbed sleep, insomnia, or being sleepy all-day
- Uncontrollable anger, irritability, or frustration over small matters
- Loss of weight reduced appetite, or extreme weight gain
- Feeling worthless or guilty
- Thoughts of self-harm or frequent or recurrent thoughts of death
Depression has no exact cause to diagnose but it can be caused by many things. Some of the common causes of depression are as follows:
- Traumatic life events – difficult experiences like the death of a loved one, major life changes, being bullied or abused, loneliness and lack of support can trigger depression.
- Genetics or family history – as depression is more common in people who have blood relatives suffering from the same condition.
- Medical conditions – like chronic conditions or life-threatening illnesses like heart disease or cancer can lead to depression
- Medication – as some can cause depression as a side effect and substance use like drugs or overuse of alcohol can cause or make depression worse
- Hormones – changes in the body's balance of hormones can also cause depression
- Childhood experience – early traumatic events, unstable family situations, and physical emotional, or sexual abuse can make a person vulnerable to experiencing depression later in life.
- Other mental health problems – like anxiety, eating or sleeping disorders and others can also cause depression.
If you have any of these symptoms or feel like you're at risk of depression it is best to visit a doctor as they can help diagnose and provide the best depression treatment in Siliguri. Depression is a common but serious mental illness that requires expert medical attention and care to cure it.